Personal Support Specialist
NATURE OF WORK:
Perform assistance with personal hygiene, provide nutritional support, and the environmental maintenance that enable older adults to remain in their home (and community) providing for their supervision, comfort and safety. Tasks may include assistance with direct client care bathing, dressing, toileting, skin care, oral care, meal preparation, shopping, errands, light housekeeping and companionship in order to provide the client and their family the opportunity for optimal health and maximum fulfillment of their community. Services are provided under the direction of a service plan developed by the agency and the client.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Quality of Care
1. Provides personal care (bathing, dressing, skin care, grooming, shaving , assist with ambulation and transfers, assist with bed pan, commode, toileting, and general assistance to clients in accordance with the service plan.
2. Plan meals, purchases food and household supplies and prepares and serves nutritious meals in accordance with the service plan.
3. Works to provide for a clean, safe, and orderly environment for the client and family.
4. Wash dishes, cleans the kitchen after meals, and launders clothes, bed linens, etc., in accordance with the service plan.
5. Provides companionship for the client as required.
6. Serves as an advocate for the client/ family and as a role model.
7. Observes the client’s general condition and reports any change in client status.
8. Performs other duties, such as transportation, as assigned by supervisor.
9. Commutes to client’s residence to provide services.
10. Accurately documents services in accordance with the agency policies on the day services are rendered.
11. Submits documentation to the service office in a timely manner. (Within 48 hours of client contact)
12. Complies with agency policies and procedures.
13. Immediately reports any changes in client condition to supervisor.
14. Establishes and maintains effective communication and a professional relationship with clients/families and co-workers.
15. Maintains and enhances skills through attending appropriate staff development programs.
16. Appearance is professional and complies with company dress code.
17. Assignments are fulfilled with reliability and punctuality.
18. Maintains a cooperative manner toward client/family and all members of the health care team.
19. Listens and responds to client’s needs in a sensitive and timely manner either through own initiative as appropriate, or by referral to appropriate person.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
1. High School Graduate.
2. A) Possess or be willing to obtain PSS certification approved by BEAS of State of Maine
B) Participate in an 8 hour company orientation for PSS’s and obtain approved PSS certification from BEAS approved program within 90 days of hire. CNA certificates are not mandatory.
3. Able to lift, push, and pull light to moderate loads.
4. Has ability to read, follow written instructions, and document services provided.
5. Must be able to function in a practice environment with minimal direct supervision, accepting personal responsibility for maintaining a professional relationship with the agency’s clients and families.
6. Must accept responsibility for learning and adhering to the agency’s policies and procedures on an on-going basis.
7. Ability to meet agency’s conditions of employment regarding health clearance and provision of satisfactory work.
8. Must have a valid Maine Driver’s License and possess reliable transportation.
9. Must possess a positive, caring attitude and good sense of humor.
10. Must be committed to promoting a healthy lifestyle and staying active.
A criminal background and driving record check will be done on all employees. Employment is contingent upon a clean criminal background and driving record check.