Community Support Specialist Job Description
Nature of Work : Performs general tasks and services that enable older adults to remain active, independent and in his/ her own home. These tasks may include assistance in the areas of direct client care (non-personal), light housekeeping, home management, socialization, and transportation in order to provide the client and their family the opportunity for optimal health and maximum fulfillment in their community. Services are provided under the direction of a service plan developed by the agency and the client.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Quality of Care
1. Provide tasks within the party, reminder, telephone reassurance, transportation, homemaker, and chore service programs in accordance with the individual service plan.
2. Provides caring companionship for the client.
3. Serves as an advocate for the client/family and as a role model.
4. Works to provide for a clean, safe and positive environment for the client and family.
5. Commutes to client’s residence to provide services.
6. Accurately documents services in accordance with the agency policies on the day services are rendered. (Submits documentation to service office in a timely manner within 48 hours of client contact).
7. Complies with the agency’s policies and procedures.
8. Immediately reports any changes in client’s condition to supervisor.
9. Establishes and maintains effective communication and a professional relationship with clients, families, co-workers, referral sources and affiliates.
10. Maintains and enhances skills through attending appropriate staff development programs.
11. Appearance is professional and complies with company dress code.
12. Assignments are fulfilled with reliability and punctuality.
13. Maintains a cooperative manner toward client/family and all members of the community.
14. Listens and responds to client’s needs in a sensitive and timely manner either through own initiative as appropriate, or by referral to appropriate person.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
1. Has had at least one year of employment experience and work or life experience assisting older adults in the community or equivalent education in a related social service or health related field.
2. Has ability to read, follow written instructions, and document services provided.
3. Must be able to function in an environment with minimal direct supervision, accepting personal responsibility for maintaining a professional relationship with the company’s clients and the client’s families.
4. Must accept responsibility for learning and adhering to the agency’s policies and procedures on an on-going basis.
5. Ability to meet agency’s conditions of employment regarding health clearance and provision of satisfactory work.
6. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
7. Must possess a positive, caring attitude and a good sense of humor.
8. Must be committed to staying young and active.
A criminal background and driving record check will be done on all employees. An employee’s employment is contingent upon a clean criminal background and driving record check.